No, I Didn't Apply To University & That's Okay


Four months ago I left High School and had just finished my sixth year there. When I was little - maybe 10 years old, I had always seen myself finishing school and then moving away to go to university. However 8 years on and that's not what I'm doing - well not exactly.
In January the university application process began. All my friends started writing their personal statement and knew exactly what course they wanted to study and had narrowed down their top five university choices - unlike me. I hadn't found a course I was totally in love with and I just didn't feel like I was ready to be moving away. I didn't want to be making such a big decision for the next four years of my life and totally regretting it. I didn't want to choose a course just because all of my friends had and then for me to realise I didn't actually want to study it. I had mentally drawn out my life and it wasn't going to plan, I didn't want to disappoint my parents and I didn't want all of my friends to move away and make new friends without me. After lots and lots of decision making and searching hundreds of universities I knew that this wasn't the time for me. As Kylie Jenner said "This is the year for just, realising things" and so I realised, that maybe it's wasn't the end of the world if I didn't go to uni straight out of high school.

So, I came up with an alternative option - take a year out and discover what life was like in the world of work. However there was one teeny tiny problem; I couldn't find a job anywhere, I mean there was jobs going but nothing in a particular industry that I was interested in. So then my second option was considered - college. The past couple of months college wasn't an option for me but I realised that if I couldn't get a job that was going to benefit my gap year of work then I would need a backup. So after many weeks I finally wrote my dreaded personal statement and sent it away. In only a matter of days I was offered an interview and my application was accepted. I'm now studying HND Retail Management and I couldn't be happier with the choices I've made for myself over the past couple of months and it also meant that I didn't have to move away. I still have every opportunity to go to university, so who knows what the future will bring.

BUT, this post isn't all about me. I want people like me to understand that not everything in life happens like you imagine it to and maybe changing your path is for the better. If you're in the same situation as me and struggling with university options then please just remember:

  • Make YOUR happiness a priority - if you're not 100% convinced you're making the right choice then don't do it! Take a couple of steps back and think about the whole situation and think about your other options. 
  • Do what's right for YOU - Don't make a decision only because it's what your parents and family want you to do. It's you're future, you choose it. 
  • Success isn't measured by a degree - If you just want to go out and work full time and higher education isn't for you; then you do that! Who's to tell you that you won't be successful because you don't have a university education? 




No comments :

Post a Comment